20 ways to make your
jewelry store more green
Responsible choices make a difference!
Use these helpful tips to make your jewelry store more green:
- Produce and sell jewelry made with recycled metals.
- Produce and sell jewelry made with Certified Fairmined Silver or Gold.
- Buy only ethically-sourced or recycled diamonds and gemstones.
- Buy cultured diamonds and gems (100% eco-friendly, grown in a lab and more affordable).
- Opt to sell vintage, estate or antique jewelry in your store.
- Accept trade-ins from your customers and melt down their jewelry to create custom pieces for them.
- Recycle/refine your metal scrap and sweeps with an eco-friendly refiner.
- Use eco-friendly boxes and packaging, go paperless (i.e. stone fiber bags instead of paper bags).
- Use eco-friendly (non-toxic) jewelry cleaners in your store.
- Increase awareness of the green movement. Educate and inform your customers.
- Support green organizations. Donate a share of your profits to green organizations, partner with organizations like the Nature Conservancy, etc.
- Maintain a set of core values that includes a responsibility to consumers, the environment and global societies. Work with companies and suppliers that have like core values and interests in doing all they can to create a more sustainable future.
- Get recycled content certified by a 3rd party organization like SCS Global Services.
- Earn a seal of approval. One example is the Green America ‘Seal of Approval’. This seal is presented to businesses that go beyond product and service quality to set the highest standards in environmental sustainability and social justice, and work to solve, rather than create, environmental and social problems.
- Buy locally.
- Buy supplies that are Made in America - Companies that keep it “Made in America” are better able to stay in total control of work ethics, standards and quality.
- Reduce unnecessary postage and printing. Limit your junk mail. Run promotions and distribute information online or through e-mail.
- Recycle your paper, cardboard boxes, toner cartridges, plastic bottles, glass, metal cans, etc.
- Save paper – print on both sides, reduce paper consumption by using e-mail, turn out lights, put computers to sleep, take measures to reduce the amount of junk mail your company receives and sends out, use recycled toner cartridges, use re-usable coffee mugs, use rechargeable batteries, etc.
- Reuse envelopes and boxes whenever possible.
Hoover & Strong is an avid supporter of socially and environmentally-responsible choices. In the jewelry industry where a large portion of products come from the Earth, we believe that recycling precious metal is one of the most important steps we can take in protecting our environment.