Breakage and Loss Policy
Hoover & Strong strives to provide our customers with the very best service possible. We pay the utmost attention to the removal and setting of all of our customer's stones. However, even with our best efforts, certain breakage and loss is inevitable. The purpose of this document is to clarify our responsibilities and commitment to our customers when they submit items for stones removal, or when they provide us with their stones for setting.
By sending us your stones for setting and/or removal services, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Stones smaller than 3.80mm ("Melee Diamonds")
A. Hoover & Strong cannot and will not be held liable for any damage or losses caused during the setting of melee diamonds with clarity of I1 or higher, within the following ranges (quantity to include all stones in the order); 1-50 stones – losses or breakage up to 10% 51-100 stones – losses or breakage up to 5% 101+ stones – losses or breakage up to 3%
B. Regardless of quantities, Hoover & Strong cannot or will not be held liable for any damage or losses caused to melee diamonds when one or more of the following conditions apply
1. The stones clarity is I2 or lower.
2. The stones are chipped or laser grooved.
3. The stones are color treated.
4. The stones are being removed from jewelry per the customer’s request.
5. The stones are out of tolerance for machine setting but are being machine set per the customer’s request.
2. Stones larger than 3.80mm ("Center Diamonds")
A. Hoover & Strong cannot and will not be held liable for any damage caused during setting to center diamonds when one or more of the following conditions apply -
1. The stone has an indented natural, chip, knot, cavity or open inclusion that reaches the girdle
2. The stone is fracture filled or color treated
3. The stone’s clarity is I2 or lower
4. For all orders including the setting of 100 or more center stones, the breakage rate allowed will be 2% (Hoover & Strong are responsible only for breakage in excess of 2%)
B. Hoover & Strong cannot and will not be held liable for any damage caused to center diamonds during removal from jewelry per the customer’s request.
Gemstones present a unique issue for the jewelry industry. Gemstones with Mohs hardness under 8.0 are highly prone to chipping and breakage. This would include, but is not limited to, Emerald, Tanzanite, Peridot, Amethyst, Opal, Quartz, Garnet, Citrine and Onyx.
Based upon this information, Hoover & Strong cannot and will not be held liable for any damage or losses caused during setting or removal of any gemstones when the customer requests that these stones be set or removed. As breakage is such a common issue, Hoover & Strong recommends that additional stones be provided in order to prevent production delays. Any and all unused customer’s stones will be returned to the client.
If sending in your own stones, CLICK HERE to complete a Stone Submission Form.